Residential Building Inspections – What Kind do I Need?

You are currently viewing Residential Building Inspections – What Kind do I Need?

Are you searching for a reputable building inspection company?

The type of building inspection you need will depend on the nature of your property project. The Home Inspection Hub can help whether you are buying, selling, building, investing or renovating a home.

We offer a range of different building inspection types.

Pre-Purchase Inspections/building and Pest inspections

Why do I need one?

If you are looking for a property, a pre-purchase house inspection is a must before you sign a contract or bid at auction. Why? To make sure the property is structurally sound and does not have defects or issue that will eat up huge amounts of time and money down the track once you are the new owner.

Arranging a pest inspection at the same time will alert you to any pest infestations or pest-related damage that need to be dealt with

You can use the results of a pre-purchase house inspection to negotiate with the vendor.

When do I need one?

In short – as soon as you have decided that you are interested in the property and want to make an offer. For auctioned properties, this needs to be before the auction date. For sales by private treaty, it’s best to get the inspection done before you make an offer to give you a true picture of the property’s condition.

Alternatively, you can sign a contract of sale stating that your offer is conditional on the satisfactory outcome of a building and pest inspection.

Pre=Purchase House Inspections – Find Out More


Why do I need one?

Are you selling your home? Under Section 137b of the Building Act 1993, any renovation work that has been completed within the previous 6.5 years (if the property is being listed for sale) needs to be inspected in the form of an Owner Builder Defects Report. It is a legal requirement that this report be included in the Section 32 documentation of the contract of sale, and not providing this report can jeopardise the sale of your home and create legal issues down the track.

When do I need one?

As part of the preparation of getting your home for sale,  you should organise a fully-qualified inspector to conduct an owner builder defects report. In Victoria, only registered building practitioners can conduct these kinds of inspections. A registered building practitioner is a building surveyor, building inspector or endorsed building engineer.

Owner Builder Defects Reports – Find Out More



Why do I need one?

If you are planning to carry out renovations on your home, it’s a good idea to get some professional advice on the project. An inspection can identify any structural issues, plumbing or electrical issues, pest infestations or cracking that may cause issues down the track.

If your renovation is substantial,  then an inspection at each stage will serve the same purpose as that of new home construction inspections.

If you have completed a renovation project or are living in a renovated home, and have some concerns about a particular issue, a renovation inspection can identify the issue and make recommendations for repairs and rectification.

Special Purpose Inspections – Find Out More

Renovation Inspections -Find Out More



Why do I need one?

Signing a contract with a builder comes with the expectation that your new home will be built to a certain standard– a reputable builder should adhere to all Australian codes. To ensure that your new home is meeting these standards, an inspection at each stage by an independent inspector is a must.

When do I need one?

New home construction inspections are conducted at crucial points throughout the build process –  Base, Frame, Lock-up/Pre-Plaster, Fixing and Final (PCI). Your contract with a builder should also stipulate that they must rectify issues and defects within an agreed timeframe – usually three to six months after the conclusion of the build. Within this timeframe, a maintenance inspection with an independent inspector is also recommended.

Contract Review

If you are building a new home, the contract with your builder can be a lengthy and confusing document, full of industry terminology that is unfamiliar to the average person.

What exactly are you agreeing to and how much will it cost? Before you sign anything, getting an independent expert to review the document before you sign.

A contract review appointment can also provide advice on your responsibilities as an owner, your builder’s obligations, an explanation of costs, progress payment schedules, prime and provisional sum costs, the length of time for the build, finished floor levels on contract drawings, and finishes on paint, benchtops, floors and appliances.

New Home Construction Inspections – Find Out More

Maintenance Inspections – Find Out More

Contract Review – Find Out More


Whether you are buying, selling, building, renovating or investing in property, The Home Inspection Hub can help.

We are the residential inspection professionals. 

We conduct a range of inspections throughout Melbourne, Geelong and Central Victoria:

  • Pre-Purchase House Inspections
  • Building and Pest Inspections with Crunch Pest Control
  • New Home Construction Inspections – all stages as well as Contract Review, Stand-Alone PCI and Maintenance Inspections
  • Owner Builder Defects (137b) Reports
  • Special Purpose Inspections
  • Renovation Inspections
  • VCAT Reports and Expert Witness
  • Tax Depreciation Schedules

Our experienced team comprises registered builders and architects, all with at least two decades of experience in the building industry.

We offer:

  • A free quote service
  • Free sample reports
  • Quick report turnaround

With over 25,000 inspections under our belt and an established reputation, The Home Inspection Hub provides peace of mind for the biggest purchase you will ever make.

Call us today on 1300 071 283 or email and see how we can assist you with a high-quality residential building inspection today.