Owner Builder Defects Reports (137b Report)

You are currently viewing Owner Builder Defects Reports (137b Report)


Have you completed any renovation work on your property within the last 6.5 years?

Are you now ready to sell?

Embarking on the journey of selling your property after recent renovations can be both exciting and nerve-wracking. Perhaps you’ve just discovered the requirement for an Owner Builder Defects Report, also known as a 137b Report or Building Defects Report, and it feels like an unexpected hurdle.

At The Home Inspection Hub, we understand the complexities of this process and aim to shed light on why this report is essential and how we can assist you seamlessly navigate through it.
Section 137B of the Building Act 1993 mandates that any property that has undergone renovation work within the last 6.5 years must undergo inspection by a suitably qualified professional. The Owner Builder Defects Report is a critical component of your Section 32 documents, playing a pivotal role in the real estate transaction process. Far from being an inconvenience, this report serves a vital purpose – to safeguard both the purchaser and the owner by providing a comprehensive understanding of the renovated property’s condition.

Our team at The Home Inspection Hub recognizes that the Owner Builder Defects Report is not just a checkbox on the selling process; it’s a valuable tool for transparency and risk mitigation.

Our 137B report meticulously identifies any faults or defects in the completed building work, highlights areas of incomplete work, and ensures that any usage of second-hand materials is duly noted. This level of detail not only meets regulatory requirements but also fosters trust between both parties involved in the property transaction.

Selling a property with recent renovations should be a smooth and transparent process, and our experts are here to ensure it stays that way. By choosing The Home Inspection Hub, you are not just fulfilling a regulatory obligation; you are gaining a partner committed to facilitating a seamless transition from homeowner to seller. Let us navigate the intricacies of the Owner Builder Defects Report for you, ensuring that your property sale is founded on trust, transparency, and the confidence of all parties involved.

Some of the types of renovation work we check include:

Kitchen renovation
Full house renovation
Bathroom renovation
Garage/ Shed
Retaining walls
Other small situations

Why is an Owner Builder Defects Report with The Hub so important?

Give us a call on 1300 071 283 or submit a free online quote so we can help you finalise your sale. We will try to make the process as easy as possible.

Download Our Owner Builder Defects Report Brochure


An owner builder is defined as someone who “constructs or renovates a domestic building on his or her own land, and who is not in the business of building”.

If the value of the domestic work is over $16,000 and the property is being sold within six years of completion, then you must obtain Domestic Building Insurance (previously called Warranty Insurance). If the value of the works is below $16,000, you only need to obtain an Owner Builder Defects Report.

It is useful for the Inspector to review any documentation relating to the renovation work. This may include house plans, soil reports, structural engineering reports, occupancy permit, electrical or plumbing certificates. If available, this documentation can be reviewed as part of the inspection.

The team at The Hub are here to help with your queries. For additional references and resources, you can check out these sites:
Victoria Building Authority (VBA): http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/consumers/owner-builders
Consumer Affairs Victoria: https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing/building-and-renovating/owner-builders