Are you house-hunting?
Viewing a potential property several times before you make an offer is part of the due diligence all buyers should undertake.
Attending several inspections will help you identify obvious issues and determine whether the property is the right fit for you in terms of location, size, position, feel and style.
However, there are some issues that only a pre-purchase building and pest inspection will identify.
Having all the facts about a property allows you to make a fully-informed decision and puts you at an advantage when it comes time to make an offer.
We will look at the top five issues with a potential home that only a thorough, professional building and pest inspection will uncover.
Foundation and Sub-Floor Issues
A pre-purchase house inspection will check for:
- Correct site drainage
- Plumbing leaks
- Cracking throughout external and internal walls
- Evidence of dampness, smells and mould growth
- Defects within the sub-floor framework, stumps and piers
- Evidence of termites, vermin and pests
Leaks and Moisture Damage
Your inspector should be checking for:
- Ponding water around and below the sub-floor,
- Wood rot, swollen timber, water staining throughout external and internal surfaces,
- Rising damp
- Efflorescence/white powdery formations
- Foundation failure
Issues in the Roof Space
A quality pre-purchase building and pest inspection will identify the following issues:
- Cracked tiles
- General condition of the framework
- Evidence of roof leaks
- Insulation quality and condition
Safety and Services
During the course of a pre-purchase house inspection, the following safety elements and services should be checked:
- Defective plumbing and electrical wiring
- Circuit breakers and safety switches installed
- Smoke detectors, condition of heating and cooling units including hot water services
- Steps/handrails and balustrading,
- Window openings and ventilation requirements throughout.
Pest and Termite Damage
A pre-purchase building inspection should always be accompanied by a fully-qualified pest inspector.
This inspector should check the following when conducting a pre-purchase inspection:
- Evidence of damage to wiring and plumbing
- Eaten timbers throughout
- Evidence of structural damage.
Not sure how to go about choosing an inspection company? Ask these important questions before you pay any money.
The Home Inspection Hub will make sure our customers have all the information they need, before we proceed with a booking.
Found the perfect property? Book a pre purchase house inspection or combined building and pest inspection with The Home Inspection Hub before you attend an auction. We are proud to partner with Crunch Pest Control for our pest inspections.
We also conduct new home construction inspections, owner builder defect (137b) reports, special purpose inspections and specialised services such as contract review, tax depreciation schedules and VCAT and expert witness across Melbourne, Geelong and Central Victoria.
For a discussion about your requirements, call our friendly booking team on 1300 071 283 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We also offer a free quote service